Muncipal Court


Municipal Court Judge
Honorable Ricky J. McKinney
P.O. Box 2089
Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
Phone: 205-248-5330
Fax: 205-247-7845

Physical Address:
2122 6th Street
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

Mailing Address for Payments:
Tuscaloosa Municipal Court
P.O. Box 2089
Tuscaloosa, AL 35403

Parking while attending Court
Free parking is available in The City of Tuscaloosa's parking deck (entrance on 7th Street) Two hour parking is available on public streets and in the court parking lot.

Municipal Court

1. Where is the Municipal Court building located?

2122 6th Street,downtown Tuscaloosa, beside City Hall  It is located in the same building as the TPD Dowtown Precinct.  More...

2. What should I expect to happen in Court?

Security at the front door will advise you as to where you need to go in the court building. Once in the courtroom, the Prosecutor will call the docket in alphabetical order on Criminal Arraignment and certain traffic offenses on Traffic Arraignment dockets. The Prosecutor will ask you whether you plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead guilty, the Prosecutor will advise you of the recommendation of a sentence to the Judge and the Judge will then sentence you. If you plead not guilty, the case will be set for trial date by the Judge. If you plead guilty to the Court Magistrate on the minor traffic violation, you will be sentenced to the settlement amount and advised when to pay the fines and court costs. If you are pleading not guilty, the Judge will set the trial date.  The  Magistrates at the cashier's office can take pleas for minor traffic violations such as speeding, running a red light, running a stop sign, the wrong way on a one way street, etc…

3. Can I plead guilty and pay fine and court before my court date?

A: Only if it is minor traffic violation. The fines for minor traffic violations are set out in this web site. more


4. What do I do if I get a Minor in Possession citation?

You must appear in court to speak with the Prosecutor or Judge.

5. Can I pay a ticket without coming to court?

Maybe,if it is on the minor traffic fine schedule.   Payment will be accepted at the cashier's window or you may mail a money order or a cashier's check along with your copy of the ticket (signed on the defendant's line) or use E-Services as long as it is not after your court date. More...

6. Can someone else pay my fine for me?

Only if you have signed a plea of guilt More...

7. I lost my ticket, where can I get a plea of guilt?

A printable guilty plea (for use with minor traffic offenses only)may be obtained by clicking on this link. More...

8. How can I find out what my fine will be before I come to Court?

The Judge can order a fine of up to $500 and/or 6 months in jail on any charge in municipal court except for Driving under the Influence whereby the fine and jail time can be higher.  Please check the schedule of minor traffic violations  More

9. Am I expected to pay my fine and court costs when I appear in Court?

The Judge or the Court Magistrates will give you the date to pay your fines.

10. Do I have to pay extra court costs if I come to court?

The court cost will remain the same whether you come to court or not.
The court cost is already included in the amount paid for minor traffic citations. If a trial or failure to appear fine is applicable, the court cost could increase due to subpoena or late fees. The fine, however; is subject to change if a trial is requested. This is at the discretion of the Judge.

11. What kind of payment is accepted?

Cash, cashier's check, money order, Master Card and Visa (with valid ID)

12. Can I reset my court date over the phone?

A: No, all request for resets and/or continuances must be made in person.

13. Can I bring my children with me to court?

Children under 10 are not allowed in the courtroom.

14. How do I keep a traffic off my record?

 You must appear in court on your court date. The Court will consider dismissal upon completion of defensive driving school and/or payment of court costs on an individual basis. 

15. What should I wear to Court?

Suitable attire is required. Shirts and shoes are required. Halter tops, tank tops, and shorts are not appropriate. No hats or scarves may be worn in the Courtroom. Cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off. Children are not permitted.

16. What do I do if there is a warrant for my arrest?

You must turn yourself in to the Tuscaloosa Police Department and post a bond. You will be given a Court date. More...

17. How do I get a court-appointed attorney?
You can apply for a court-appointed attorney when you appear in court. The Judge will make the determination of whether you are eligible for a court-appointed attorney. Eligibility is based on financial need.


18. What type of bond must I use?

You may use a bonding company, property bond or cash bond unless the warrant is for failure to appear whereby you will have to post a cash bond.

19. Where do I pay my parking ticket?

At the cashier's window at Tuscaloosa Municipal Court or on-line using E-Services (must be by your court date.) For help call 205-248-5330.

20. How can I contact the Tuscaloosa County Courthouse?

205-349-3870 More...

21. How do I view Municipal Codes?

Municipal codes can be viewed and printed from More...