The Office of the City Attorney serves as legal counsel to the City of Tuscaloosa.
The broad range of services provided by this office include:
- Legal advice to elected and non-elected city officials
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions, policies and other documents
- Contract negotiation, drafting, review and execution
- Monitoring City policies and procedures for compliance with state and federal law
- Litigation in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate level
- Claims and collections
- Property acquisition services for the City
- Prosecution of criminal offenses in municipal court and on appeal to state circuit court
- Other professional legal services
Finding an Attorney
- Most attorneys advertise in the telephone book yellow pages. Look under “Attorneys.”
- Legal Services of Alabama is a statewide nonprofit organization providing free civil legal assistance to low-income and elderly Alabamians.
- Call 205-758-7503 or
- Alabama State Bar Lawyers Referral Service.
- Call 800-392-5660 or
- Look for the Lawyers Referral Service link. This service by the state bar association will give you the name and contact information of attorneys in your area who handle the kind of legal problem you have.
- Call 800-392-5660 or
- The University of Alabama School of Law Clinical Program has several specialized clinical programs that may or may not be able to assist you.
- Call 205-348-4960 if you think you might qualify
- James P. Woodson III, Deputy City Attorney
City Employment, Planning and Zoning, Code Enforcement, Civil Litigations, Foreclosure Sales, Collections, Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter
- Thomas D. Bobitt, Deputy City Attorney
Property Acquisition, Street Vacations, Condemnations, Easements, Contracts
- Kristen Miller, Associate City Attorney
Public Works, Bid Law, Procurement, Contracts.
- Christopher J. England, Associate City Attorney
Claims, Franchise Agreements, Tax Issues
- Grant H. Wilson, Associate City Attorney
Contracts, procurements, amphitheater, airport, compliance (ethics, open meetings, constitutional matters, etc.)
- Scott B. Holmes, Associate City Attorney
Municipal Court Policy and Administrative Issues, Municipal Court Appeals, Lakes Issues, Short Term Rentals, Vehicles for Hire and Transportation Network Companies
- Oto Tuamokumo, Associate City Attorney
City Prosecutor, Zoning Board of Adjustments Legal Representative