Short term rental is the transient use of any dwelling or any part of a dwelling for overnight occupancy. Any individual or entity who rents or furnishes any room, lodging or accommodation as a short term rental must purchase a business license and file monthly lodging tax.
Applying For A New Short Term Rental Business License
To apply for a new short term rental license, please visit www.tuscaloosa.com/STR.
Renewing A Short Term Rental Business License
Renewals for business licenses are mailed out on December 31st each year. The returned renewal card and payment must be postmarked by February 15th of each year to be considered on time. Any renewal not postmarked by the due date will be subject to penalty and interest.
When renewing your Short Term Rental business license, send the following documents with your renewal card and payment:
- Current insurance policy that meets the ordinance criteria
- Copy of biennial home inspection (every other year)
- Only Required for Single Family Dwellings
- Annual Dock Inspection (if applicable)
- Annual Lodging Tax Report from rental platform (if applicable)
Code of Ordinances Reference
Chapter 7, Article XIII