- Garbage is collected once a week on the same day as trash and curbside recycling. Find your pickup day on the Environmental Services Route Map.
- Garbage carts must be placed at curbside before the route start time to ensure collection. Routes begin at 6 a.m. from Memorial Day through Labor Day and at 7 a.m. from Labor Day until Memorial Day.
- Garbage carts must be removed from the city right-of-way by 8 a.m. the day following collection.
- In the Historic District, carts may not be stored in the front yard and may only be located in the front yard when out at the curb for collection or service. Click for detailed information on Historic District Cart Storage.
- When a City holiday interrupts the solid waste collection schedule, routes will resume the next scheduled work day. Click to view the Holiday Collection Schedule.
- City garbage service is mandatory for all single-family residential premises in the Tuscaloosa corporate city limits. New residents may apply for garbage service when they apply for their water and sewer services via the New Account Form.
- Multi-family and non-residential premises may be eligible for City garbage collection service. If ineligible or not subscribing to City garbage collection service, multi-family and non-residential premises must contract with a licensed commercial waste hauler for private dumpster service.
Placement and preparation
To reduce the risk of injury and prevent exposure to the hazards of solid waste, the City has transitioned to automated garbage collection in some neighborhoods. New trucks feature a mechanical arm to empty the carts.
To keep our crews safe and prevent an interruption in service, please do the following:
- Bag all garbage and place all bags inside the cart; carts must not be overfilled. Don't put extra bags on the ground.
- Place cart on the curb with arrows pointing toward the street before 6 a.m. on collection day.
- Carts must be more than 3 feet from other carts, recycling bins, trash piles, parked cars, mailboxes, fences and fire hydrants.
- Carts may not be placed under low hanging utility lines or tree limbs.
- After cart is emptied, remove from the curb by 8 a.m. the next day.
- If you have any questions, call Tuscaloosa 311.
- Trash is collected on the same day as garbage and curbside recycling.
- Trash must be placed at curbside before the route start time to ensure collection. Routes begin at 6 a.m. from Memorial Day through Labor Day and at 7 a.m. from Labor Day until Memorial Day.
- When a City holiday interrupts the solid waste collection schedule, routes will resume the next scheduled work day.
- Trash service is only available to residential City garbage customers. Non-residential customers are not eligible for trash service.
- Bulky items (old furniture, unwanted toys, etc.)
- Limbs and brush
- Bagged leaves and grass clippings; pine straw
- Rocks, bricks and demolition waste generated by family units
- Appliances – collected separately from regular trash; will be recycled
- Household garbage
- Hazardous waste (paint, light bulbs, batteries, chemicals, etc.)
- Recyclable materials
- Loose glass (In order for crews to collect, glass must be broken into small pieces and placed inside a box that is taped shut)
- Any waste generated by a contractor, landscaper or tree cutter
- Recyclable electronics – must be dropped off at the Richard A. Curry Environmental Complex at 3440 Kauloosa Ave.
Placement and preparation
- All trash must be placed at the curb for collection. Trash may not be placed in the street.
- All leaves and small items must be bagged before placing at the curb for collection.
- Limbs must be cut to less than 8 feet in length and 8 inches in diameter.
- Trash must be more than 3 feet from inanimate objects (mailboxes, cars, fences, etc.).
- Trash may not be placed under utility lines.
- Refrigerators must be taped shut or have the doors removed.