The Tuscaloosa City Council adopted the 2015 City of Tuscaloosa Floodplain Management Plan on April 12, 2016. The City of Tuscaloosa is committed to creating and maintaining a flood-resistant community. The development of a Floodplain Management Plan (FMP) helps the City mitigate against the potential impacts of flooding. The Plan provides an overall strategy and measures and projects that aim to reduce the risk of flooding in the city. The following are benefits of the plan:
- Identification of existing and future flood-related hazards;
- Development of mitigation measures and activities related to flooding;
- Continuity with land use and comprehensive planning programs;
- Education for residents and property owners regarding flood loss reduction measures and natural function of floodplains;
- Increased understanding and support for activities and projects; and
- Higher rating in the Community Rating System (CRS).