In order to maintain curbside recycling services amid staffing shortages due to COVID-19, some Thursday recycling routes are temporarily moving to Friday. If your residence falls in the green map area, your recycling will temporarily be picked up on Friday instead of Thursday, beginning the week Dec. 10 (pickup on Dec. 11 instead of Dec. 10).
This will not affect your garbage schedule. For questions about if this change affects your residence, please contact Tuscaloosa 311.
Do you live in an apartment? Are you a business owner? Do you live outside the Tuscaloosa city limits? You can still recycle – free of charge – at any of our drop-off locations. Recycling drop-off trailers have been strategically placed around Tuscaloosa County. Find the location nearest you with the map on this page.
- Corrugated cardboard, cereal boxes, brown paper bags
- Drop off at Curry Complex
- Drop off at specified locations in map
Mixed Office Paper
Newspapers & Magazines
- All types & inserts
Plastic Containers #1
- Water bottles, soda bottles, berry trays, plastics marked with a 1
Plastic Containers #2
- Milk jugs, detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, plastics marked with a 2
- Grocery bags, bread bags
Steel "Tin" Soup Cans
Aluminum Foil Items
- Foil, pie plates
- Plastics #3 - #7
Household & Construction Garbage
- Chip bags, drink pouches
Styrofoam Cups & Containers
- Cardboard cartons, juice boxes
The City of Tuscaloosa encourages all West Alabama residents and organizations to recycle their old, unused and broken electronics. Electronic waste should be kept out of landfills because it contains toxic materials that have the potential to leach into our soil and water and harm our local environment and health. E-waste also contains valuable materials that can be recovered.
- Drop off accepted electronics at the Richard A. Curry Environmental Complex at 3440 Kauloosa Ave. on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Electronics won’t be accepted on City holidays, after hours, on weekends, at drop-off recycling trailers or on curbside recycling routes.
- To drop off e-waste, park in the designated parking space at the Curry Complex. Sign in at the front office, explaining the type and origination of electronics you are recycling. An environmental services crew member will meet you and collect all accepted electronics from your vehicle.
- For citizens or businesses with large quantities of electronics, please call ahead at 205-248-4900 to schedule a drop-off appointment.
- No citizens or vehicles are allowed to enter the recycling plant without permission from City staff.
- Citizens and businesses will not be charged or compensated to drop off electronics.
- Desktop computers
- Fax machines
- Inkjet cartridges
- Laser printer toner
- LCD monitors
- CRT monitors
- Computer wires & cables
- UPS battery back-up
- Keyboards & mice
- Docking stations
- Cell phones & chargers
- Tablets & PDAs
- Power strips
- Networking equipment (switches, hubs, firewalls, etc.)
- Computer boards
- Rechargeable batteries
- Non-rechargeable batteries
- X-ray machines
- VHS, cassettes & 8mm tapes
- Light bulbs
- Smoke detectors
- Hazardous waste chemicals
- Garbage, trash & debris
For more information about recycling e-waste, call Tuscaloosa 311 at 205-248-5311.
Note: The City of Tuscaloosa and their affiliates assume no responsibility for data left in the memory and/or storage system of any collected electronics.