Curbside recycling collection service has been temporarily suspended as of Monday, July 20. Recycling drop-off sites will remain open and free of charge while curbside recycling is suspended. Sites and locations are:
- Mondays – McDonald Hughes Community Center, 3101 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Tuesdays – Skyland Elementary School, 408 Skyland Blvd. E.
- Wednesdays – Bowers Park, 1600 James I Harrison Jr. Pkwy., and Alberta School of Performing Arts, 2700 University Blvd. E.
- Thursdays – Sokol Park, 5260 Watermelon Rd.
Curbside Recycling Collection
A special recycling bin is provided to each participating residence for use in the collection and storage of recyclables. Note: The curbside recycle bin is the property of the City of Tuscaloosa and should be left at the residence should you move.
- Curbside recycling is collected on the same day as garbage. Find your pick-up day on the Environmental Services Route Map.
- Curbside recycling service and the recycling bin are offered free of charge.
- Curbside recycling is collected on the same day as garbage and trash.
- When a City holiday interrupts the curbside recycling collection schedule, routes will typically resume the next scheduled work day.
Don't receive the City of Tuscaloosa's curbside recycling service because you live in an apartment, own a business or live outside the Tuscaloosa city limits? You can still recycle – free of charge – at any of our drop-off locations. Recycling drop-off trailers have been strategically placed around Tuscaloosa County.
Note: Drop-off recycling trailers are for recycled materials only and are not garbage dumpsters.
The trailers and contents within are property of the City of Tuscaloosa. Groups or individuals caught tampering or taking items from the trailers could face prosecution.
Groups or individuals caught dumping garbage or non-recyclable items could face a $500 litter fine and associated court costs.
Newspapers & Magazines
All types & inserts
Plastic Containers #1
Water bottles, soda bottles, berry trays, plastics marked with a 1
Plastic Containers #2
Milk jugs, detergent bottles, shampoo bottles, plastics marked with a 2
Mixed Office Paper
Drop off at specified locations in map
Steel "Tin" Soup Cans
Corrugated cardboard, cereal boxes, brown paper bags
Grocery bags, bread bags
Drop off at Curry Complex
Plastics #3 - #7
Cardboard cartons, juice boxes
Styrofoam Cups & Containers
Household & Construction Garbage
Aluminum Foil Items
Foil, pie plates
Chip bags, drink pouches
The City of Tuscaloosa encourages all West Alabama residents and organizations to recycle their old, unused and broken electronics. Electronic waste should be kept out of landfills because it contains toxic materials that have the potential to leach into our soil and water and harm our local environment and health. E-waste also contains valuable materials that can be recovered.
- Drop off accepted electronics at the Richard A. Curry Environmental Complex at 3440 Kauloosa Ave. on weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Electronics won’t be accepted on City holidays, after hours, on weekends, at drop-off recycling trailers or on curbside recycling routes.
- To drop off e-waste, park in the designated parking space at the Curry Complex. Sign in at the front office, explaining the type and origination of electronics you are recycling. An environmental services crew member will meet you and collect all accepted electronics from your vehicle.
- For citizens or businesses with large quantities of electronics, please call ahead at 205-248-4900 to schedule a drop-off appointment.
- No citizens or vehicles are allowed to enter the recycling plant without permission from City staff.
- Citizens and businesses will not be charged or compensated to drop off electronics.
- Desktop computers
- Fax machines
- Inkjet cartridges
- Laser printer toner
- LCD monitors
- CRT monitors
- Computer wires & cables
- UPS battery back-up
- Keyboards & mice
- Docking stations
- Cell phones & chargers
- Tablets & PDAs
- Power strips
- Networking equipment (switches, hubs, firewalls, etc.)
- Computer boards
- Rechargeable batteries
- Non-rechargeable batteries
- X-ray machines
- VHS, cassettes & 8mm tapes
- Light bulbs
- Smoke detectors
- Hazardous waste chemicals
- Garbage, trash & debris
For more information about recycling e-waste, call Tuscaloosa 311 at 205-248-5311.
Note: The City of Tuscaloosa and their affiliates assume no responsibility for data left in the memory and/or storage system of any collected electronics.