If you are charged with any of the following minor traffic offenses, you may pay BEFORE the Court date by mailing your payment in full via money order or cashier's check (we do not accept personal checks) made payable to:
Tuscaloosa Municipal Court
2122 6th Street
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
To contest your citation, please come on your court date to speak with the Judge.
To contest or obtain information regarding red light camera tickets, click here or call 855-370-4229.
The Court will not grant youthful offender for minor traffic violations.
*Your court date and time will be on your copy of the citation where it says "Court Appearance".
Traffic citations are divided into two categories:
Court Appearance Not Required Citations
- If you have a citation that does not require a court appearance and would like to take care of it without appearing in court, you may do so by appearing in-person at the court office and entering a plea of guilt to the traffic offense. At that time you will pay for the citation. This must be done at least 24 hours in advance of your court date to avoid any late fees.
- You may pay your citation online or remit your plea and payment by mail. Payments made with a debit or credit card will incur a service fee. We must receive your plea and payment within the Municipal Court office at least 24 hours before your court date. Postmark dates will not be honored as meeting the deadline.
Court Appearance Required Citations
- If your citation requires a court appearance, you must appear in court on the court date listed on the citation. You will appear before the prosecutor and Municipal Judge and enter a plea on the charge. If you plead guilty, the judge will determine your fine amount and you will be able to pay the fine at that time. If you plead not guilty, your case will be granted a trial court date for a later time.
- Requesting traffic diversion: To request traffic diversion (driving school) on certain citations for dismissal, please appear in court. If granted diversion you are required to complete all classes and pay court costs.
- If you have more than one citation, then you must appear before the judge.
Citations that require a court appearance
- Suspended License
- Revoked License
- Reckless Driving
- Blue Lights
- Leaving the Scene
- Any other tickets not listed on the Traffic Citation Fee Schedule
- Ordinance violations, with exception of open beverage and loud noise.
- Multiple citations
Below are the fines and court costs if you pay before and on your court date:
|Crossing Fire Hose||$212|
|Cutting Private Property||$187|
|Cutting Funeral Procession||$187|
|Improper Window Tint||$182|
|Driver's License Restriction||$222|
|License Not in Possession||$222|
|Driving on Sidewalk||$182|
|Littering from Vehicle||$362|
|Driving on Wrong Side of Road||$192|
|Engine Running Unattended||$192|
|No Proof of Insurance||$362|
|No State Driver's License||$237|
|Expired Driver's License||$232|
|Obstruction of Driver's View||$182|
|Permit Required - Oversized Load||$412|
|Failure to Dim||$172|
|Running Red Light||$182|
|Failure to Stop at RR Crossing||$172|
|Running Stop Sign||$182|
|Failure to Yield Right of Way||$182|
|Seat Belt Violation||$41|
|Following Emergency Vehicle||$212|
|Following Too Closely||$182|
|Speeding 25 MPH over Limit||$202|
|Going Around Barricade||$192|
|Spilling Vehicle Load||$662|
|Improper Lane Change/Usage||$182|
|Texting While Driving||$187|
|Wrong Way on One Way Street||$192|
Parking Court is held the last Friday of each month at 8 a.m. No exceptions. Payments are accepted 7 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
To contest a parking ticket please attend court on the date listed on the citation.
|Parking on Private Property||$50|
|Erase Chalk Mark||$15|
|Designation Parking Prohibited||$50|
|Parking to Obstruct Traffic||$15|
|Improper Angle Parking||$15|
|Parking in Alley||$15|
|Displaying Vehicle for Sale||$15|
|Prohibited Parking in a Lot||$50|
|Parking in a Historical District||$50|