The Office of the City Attorney serves as legal counsel to the City of Tuscaloosa.
The broad range of services provided by this office include:
- Legal advice to elected and non-elected city officials;
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions, policies and other documents;
- Contract negotiation, drafting, review and execution;
- Monitoring City policies and procedures for compliance with state and federal law;
- Litigation in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate level;
- Claims and collections;
- Property acquisition services for the City;
- Prosecution of criminal offenses in municipal court and on appeal to state circuit court; and
- Other professional legal services.
Finding an Attorney
- Our office is prohibited by Alabama law from giving referrals or legal advice to members of the public, if you are looking for an attorney you may try one of the links below.
- Alabama State Bar Lawyers Referral Service.
- Call 800-392-5660 or click here.
- Look for the Lawyers Referral Service link. This service by the state bar association will give you the name and contact information of attorneys in your area who handle the kind of legal problem you have.
- Call 800-392-5660 or click here.
- Legal Services of Alabama is a statewide nonprofit organization providing free civil legal assistance to low-income and elderly Alabamians.
- Call 205-758-7503 or click here.
- The University of Alabama School of Law Clinical Program has several specialized clinical programs that may or may not be able to assist you.
- Call 205-348-4960 if you think you might qualify.
City Attorneys & Staff
Scott Holmes – City Attorney
Civil Litigation, TPD Policy and Training, Historic Preservation Commission, Various Lakes Issues, ELEVATE: Advisory Council, Project Unity, Crime Response Team, ELEVATE: Cultural Arts and Tourism
Tom Bobitt – Deputy City Attorney
City Council, Easements, Tuscaloosa National Airport, Property Acquisition, Street Vacations, Condemnations, ELEVATE: Connectivity Subcommittee, Right-of-Ways, Economic Development
Jimbo Woodson - Deputy City Attorney
City Employment, Planning and Zoning Commission, Code Enforcement, Civil Litigation, Foreclosure Sale, Collections, Animal Shelter
Chris England – Associate City Attorney
Claims, Franchise Agreements, State Legislation
Kristen Miller – Associate City Attorney
Public Works, Bid Law, Procurement, Contracts, Cemeteries, Public Records Requests
Oto Tuamokumo – Associate City Attorney
Zoning Board of Adjustments Legal Representative, Federal Programs (Community and Neighborhood Services) , City Employment Amphitheater/RiverMarket
Chad Hobbs – Associate City Attorney
Civil Litigation, ELEVATE: Parks and Rec Subcommittee ELEVATE: Property Acquisition, Special Projects, Compliance (ethics, open meetings, constitutional matters, etc.)
Kim King – Assistant City Attorney
Municipal Court Prosecution, Municipal Court Policy, Municipal
Rita Dyer - Legal Secretary, Senior
Planning and Zoning Commission, Contract preparation,
Felicia Bannister – Legal Secretary, Senior
General OCA Scheduling, File management, Legal Advertising, Internships, Council Agenda Items, OCA Budget/ Finances
Candace Elmore – Legal Secretary, Senior
Collections (liens, grass cuttings, etc.), File Management, Public Records Request, Council Agenda Items, Foreclosure Sale, Claims, Demolitions, Accident Review Board
Samaria Spaight - Legal Secretary
General OCA Questions and Concerns, Courthouse document recording, Arts and Entertainment Agreements, Claims, Contract Management, Public Records Request