Each applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. At least 19 years of age.
2. No convictions of felony crimes or offenses involving dishonesty or false statement.
3. Possess a valid Driver's License before beginning employment with the City of Tuscaloosa.
4. Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
5. Successfully complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT).*
6. Upon employment, successfully complete Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards
Commission Minimum Standards training within the specified time required.
If you have a Alabama Firefighter I and/or II certification, you are not exempt from the above-referenced CPAT requirement.
*You must present documentation of your passing the CPAT within the past 12 months prior to being eligible to sit for the entry-level written test.
Once you have submitted your application through our website and provided copies of all required supporting documentation, you will be sent a letter indicating the date, time, and place of the written examination. Approximately three or four weeks after you have taken the written test, you will be notified of your written test results by mail. Upon successfully meeting the minimum point requirements on the written test, you will proceed through the application process as follows:
- Background investigation
- Fire and Rescue Services Department Interview
- Placement on Roster of Eligibles
You must successfully pass each of the above-referenced steps to proceed to the next step of the application process.
Conditional Offer of Employment
If you are placed on the Roster of Eligibles and a vacancy occurs in the Fire and Rescue Services Department, you may be presented a Conditional Offer of Employment. You will then be required to submit to and successfully complete the following:
- Complete physical examination
- Drug screen
- Polygraph examination
If you successfully complete all phases of the Conditional Offer of Employment, you may be presented a Final Offer of Employment. Your employment as a Firefighter will require you to successfully complete Firefighter I certification with the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission and EMT (Basic) certification with the National Registry of EMT’s.